RRI Live!

Listen to Radio Romania International Live

Miners’ Raid Investigated after 25 Years

After 25 years, the file concerning the miners' raid of June 1990 is back on prosecutors' desk.


Warning: Trying to access array offset on null in /home/web/rri.ro/public/wp-content/themes/rri/template-parts/content.php on line 53
Miners’ Raid Investigated after 25 Years
Miners’ Raid Investigated after 25 Years


Warning: Trying to access array offset on null in /home/web/rri.ro/public/wp-content/themes/rri/template-parts/content.php on line 98
, 23.10.2015, 14:50

This week, further hearings have been held at the Bucharest General Prosecutor’s Office on the file concerning the June 1990 miners’ raid,
which put an end to a large-scale protest against the left-wing power that took
hold of Romania after the fall of the Communist regime in December 1989. On
Wednesday, prosecutors indicted the former head of state, Ion Iliescu, with
crimes against humanity, alongside another two of his then collaborators: the
Director of the Romanian Intelligence Office, Virgil Magureanu, and the Defense
Minister Victor Stanculescu. Also part of this investigation are other
resounding names such as the former Prime Minister Petre Roman and his deputy
Gelu Voican Voiculescu.

On Thursday, the prosecutors also indicted the former
leader of the miners in Jiu Valley, Miron Cozma, who said he was innocent and
stressed that it was not him who had brought the miners to Bucharest in June
1990, but the then authorities. He himself was brought to Bucharest by force,
Cozma claimed. Cozma was accused alongside the former presidential adviser Emil
Cico Dumitrescu and the former vice-chairman of the National Union Provisionary Council, Cazimir Ionescu. We recall that in June 1990, against the background
of violent incidents in the capital, which the army had already managed to
stifle, the former head of state Ion Iliescu invoked an attempted far-right coup, and
called on the population to defend the democratic institutions of the country. The raid of the
miners from Jiu Valley on Bucharest, where they attacked the University, the
headquarters of the opposition parties and the offices of some independent newspapers,
ended in four officially registered dead and hundreds of wounded, as well as
over one thousand people arrested abusively.

The miners’ raid file
came back on prosecutors’ table in February 2015, a few months after the
European Court of Human Rights condemned the Bucharest authorities for the way
in which they had managed the situation back in June 1990. On September 17th,
2014, the Court obliged Romania to restart the investigation and to pay 60
thousand Euro in damages to the three plaintiffs who could not find justice in
the Romanian courts. In Bucharest, the miners’ raid had been investigated into
for eight years, but the case was eventually closed, and nobody was prosecuted.

In Strasbourg, however, the Human Rights Court’s judges based their decision
on evidence of violation of several articles of the European Convention on
Human Rights, such as the one regarding torture, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. After 25 years, the miners’ raid file is now reopening old
wounds and is stirring fierce debates. Prosecutors hope to bring justice in this case, the
serious event to have ever occurred in Romania after the anti-communist revolution of
December 1989.

Finance Minister Tánczos Barna (Photo: gov.ro)
Today in the News Friday, 04 April 2025

Aid for companies affected by US tariffs

Romania, just like other European economies, is preparing for the new tariffs announced by the Trump administration.   The government in...

Aid for companies affected by US tariffs
Meeting of the defence minister Angel Tîlvar and the NATO secretary general, Mark Rutte
Today in the News Friday, 04 April 2025

Meetings on defence

  The international hysteria about the US abandoning NATO is unwarranted, the US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told the foreign ministers of...

Meetings on defence
Photo: Paul Teysen / unsplash.com
Today in the News Thursday, 03 April 2025

New US Customs Duties

The US president Donald Trump has made a decision, experts predicted long ago, namely new tariffs on all imports to US. In a speech delivered at the...

New US Customs Duties
Ilie Bolojan la Conferința „
Today in the News Thursday, 03 April 2025

Romania, towards the OECD

Romania is on track to complete all the technical analyses for joining the OECD in the next twelve months or so. The announcement was made by the...

Romania, towards the OECD
Today in the News Wednesday, 02 April 2025

EU reacts to US tariffs

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen says Brussels has prepared “a strong plan” containing “firm countermeasures” to counter...

EU reacts to US tariffs
Today in the News Wednesday, 02 April 2025

Romania is getting ready for elections

Romania had in 2024, like in no other year in three and a half decades since it transitioned to democracy, four rounds of elections – local,...

Romania is getting ready for elections
Today in the News Tuesday, 01 April 2025

Romania marks one year since joining Schengen

Romania marks one year since partial accession to the Schengen area.   Romania marks one year since joining Schengen with air and sea borders, a...

Romania marks one year since joining Schengen
Today in the News Tuesday, 01 April 2025

Sea Shield Exercise

  “Sea Shield 25”, the largest multinational training exercise organised this year by the Romanian Navy, has begun in Constanta. A roughly...

Sea Shield Exercise

Partners

Muzeul Național al Țăranului Român Muzeul Național al Țăranului Român
Liga Studentilor Romani din Strainatate - LSRS Liga Studentilor Romani din Strainatate - LSRS
Modernism | The Leading Romanian Art Magazine Online Modernism | The Leading Romanian Art Magazine Online
Institului European din România Institului European din România
Institutul Francez din România – Bucureşti Institutul Francez din România – Bucureşti
Muzeul Național de Artă al României Muzeul Național de Artă al României
Le petit Journal Le petit Journal
Radio Prague International Radio Prague International
Muzeul Național de Istorie a României Muzeul Național de Istorie a României
ARCUB ARCUB
Radio Canada International Radio Canada International
Muzeul Național al Satului „Dimitrie Gusti” Muzeul Național al Satului „Dimitrie Gusti”
SWI swissinfo.ch SWI swissinfo.ch
UBB Radio ONLINE UBB Radio ONLINE
Strona główna - English Section - polskieradio.pl Strona główna - English Section - polskieradio.pl
creart - Centrul de Creație Artă și Tradiție al Municipiului Bucuresti creart - Centrul de Creație Artă și Tradiție al Municipiului Bucuresti
italradio italradio
Institutul Confucius Institutul Confucius
BUCPRESS - știri din Cernăuți BUCPRESS - știri din Cernăuți

Affiliates

Euranet Plus Euranet Plus
AIB | the trade association for international broadcasters AIB | the trade association for international broadcasters
Digital Radio Mondiale Digital Radio Mondiale
News and current affairs from Germany and around the world News and current affairs from Germany and around the world
Comunità radiotelevisiva italofona Comunità radiotelevisiva italofona

Providers

RADIOCOM RADIOCOM
Zeno Media - The Everything Audio Company Zeno Media - The Everything Audio Company